A degree is Bioscience and Biology primarily focuses on the science which is totally related to the natural world, be it medicine, health occupations and even other niches of education. This degree might be the first baby step for an individual looking forward to having their drugs dispensed at pharmacies, becoming a seasoned campaigner a responsible doctor, formulating a whole lot of plans in order to rescue the much-needed wildlife.
Therefore, a degree in biology will also help you to work with zookeeper and deal with wild animals. Those who love to pass on their acquired knowledge can become professional tutors and sharpen the concepts about biology to the young bright students.
With the broad scope of biology, aspiring students who look to take up this degree can choose a range of professions which they feel are best suited according to their acquired knowledge. Dozens of branches of biology include cell biology, bioengineering, biophysics, physiology, microbiology, biomedical research and many more.
The role of a biologist’s ranges from saving animals to even prolonging the human lifespan by developing new techniques and creating new drugs. Thus, is a cusk, the biologists are therefore required to protect, change, preserve and also bring about positive modifying changes into the society and human health.
In order to become a successful biologist, one individual must work with the other as a team. Thus, the necessary skills are based on communication, critical thinking, ability to all the odds, and conduct productive research work. Biologists can even keep a track on the weather besides working on animals, humans and plant. They might also work as a research fellow in laboratories where they are required to continuously monitor the disease-causing viruses with the help of dishes and test tubes. They can even sit with their families and make them accustomed to their genetic relationships.
Like plenty of other disciples in the field of science, biologists can also earn huge paychecks for their living. According to the statistical report of the Labor Statistics conducted by US Bureau, the biologist can earn a hefty range of salaries in the following professions:
- As Biomedical engineers, their PayScale can weigh up to $90,000
- Biochemists and Biophysicists salaries range in between $80,000-$85,000
- Bioinformatics scientists earn an estimated figure of salary around $75,000
- Postsecondary Biological Science Teachers also earn similar figures as Bioinformatics Scientists
- Profession of Microbiologists can earn around $65,000-$70,000
Some of the following steps are quite essential in order to pursue a Biology degree. No matter whatever how a student chooses to opt for a biology degree, their first step involves taking enrollment in high schools.
- Those students who are hoping to have a successful career in biology must first start by choosing amongst courses such as biology, physiology, environmental science, chemistry, anatomy and many other subjects in their pre-meds. The essence of these courses lies on the fact that the students will have the proper introduction as to what the objective of the field of biology is going to offer. This basic knowledge will also be helpful for them in their college days.
- Those who find great interest in continuing with further degrees must narrow down their objective and become familiar as to what their basic ideas can help implement in the near future. Those students who are yet to make up their mind can simply opt for majors in biology with later intentions of continuing with a master’s degree if required. All said and done the minimum requirement for all entry-level biologists at work in a bachelor’s degree.
- After a few years of continuing high schooling, it’s time for students to choose for a specialization. Many students opt solely for a major’s degree. While others proceed further and continue with masters and even with PhD programs, an example can be considered, such as for biomedical engineers; a bachelor’s degree is sufficient while a career in genetic counseling with requiring a minimum of a master’s degree. Microbiologists are required to complete any degrees starting from bachelors to PhD. All of these options depend on the career goals of the students.
- Once the basic education is complete, its time for the individuals to complete the necessary degree to have a successful career, they are required to complete other requirements to kick start their profession. For example, physicians are required to serve residencies and need to carry a proper license for practicing their professions. Those who are interesting in investing their knowledge on grassroots level must focus on having a teaching license. Thus, serious students often start looking for these licenses even before complete in their graduate degrees, so that they don’t have to sit idle when their course of education is complete.
- Just like many other fields of science, there are new advancements made now and then. Thus, it’s necessary for students who have become professionals in their respective fields to continuously have their knowledge updated. They must be aware of the new researches and groundbreaking inventions that are being made so it helps them to continue having a fruitful relationship with society.
There are many multiples of possibilities in the field of biosciences. But it all begins with having a strong base and proper education. The degree level educations are primarily focused on the professional fields of biology. A lot of certificates are available in biology graduate courses. These certificates are often required for pursuing higher degrees. Some of them are discussed below:
- Biological principles certificate: It is a totally basic certificate which introduces students to the necessities and principle in the field of modern biology. It includes having an advanced notion on biomacromolecules, cellular structures and many more. Some of the skills gained while acquiring this certificate include having a clear ecological relationship; Understanding the role of evolution as well as genetics; having a proper grasp on various important cellular structures and how they translate in today’s world while dealing with conditions such as treatment of cancer and other energy sciences.
- Genetics certificate: with the help of this course, the students are introduced to the fundamentals of genetic analysis and science. The skills involved in this course involve having acquired a proper understanding of the techniques of genetic sense. Understanding the molecular genetics, transmission and their population and making proper use of genetic mapping.
- A certificate in anatomy and physiology involves having a proper notion on human structures, their functions and modes of adaptations. It also involves gaining impetus on homeostasis and also other human health-related issues. Some of the skills gained during this course of education involve making use of modelling using high resolution. Systematic and regional approaches to the studies related to human bodies. Ethical techniques of experimentation.
Most of the entry-level programs in the field of biology involve having a proper associate degree. These degrees are generally prepared as a four-year schedule. This degree sets the basis up for higher degrees. Some of the certifications obtain from these courses involves the following:
- College chemistry certificate: This course is modeled to provide students knowledge on the basic rules of chemistry which includes their structures, classifications, properties and reactions. Some of the skills gained during this course involve having an idea on quantitative techniques. Knowing the proper base of classifications and preparing chemistry analysis reports.
- Principles of Microbiology: This course provides the student with the much-needed ideas on actions of viruses and bacteria and other tiny microscopic biological beings. Some of the skill sets developed during this course involve having the opportunity of working hand on with bacteria and viruses; understanding the growth and microbiological metabolisms and also tracing the genetics of viruses and bacteria.
- Biotechnology course offers students the knowledge on modes of performing optimum laboratory-based works which are of great importance to the biotechnology industries. The skill sets developed during course involves the ability to perform a lot of complex set of experiments; understanding the proper cusks of biotechnology; making use of mathematics in order to quantify the findings.
- Biochemistry course focuses on bridging the difference between chemistry and biology. This course is generally suited for students who hope to take up a career in the pharmaceutical industry. Skills gained during this course involve having an understanding of the structure and various functions of proteins and conducting advanced laboratory experiments and grasping the proper concepts of genetic expressions.
Courses in bachelor’s degrees provide the pathways for students to pursue a proper career in biology with their four years course. They are also given the option to go for master’s studies or complete their PhDs. Some of the certificates acquired during this course involve the following:
3. Immunology certificate: This course educates the students about the various mechanisms based on immunize mechanics which includes various points such as transplants as well as cancers. The skill sets which are developed while acquiring immunology certificate involves developing proper treatments for immunity hampering diseases. Understanding the important and basic points of conducting tissue transplantations. Framing the concepts of autoimmunity responses.
4. Botany certificate: The courses on botany mainly focus on the histology, structures, ecologies and physiologies of pants lives and focus on their importance in the ecosystem. The skills gained while learning this course includes having the ideas on plants as they impact the environment. Making use of existing biota to develop new sustainable ecosystems. Planning various plantings and taking necessary measures to meet certain needs.
- Developmental biology courses help to develop skills on tracking growths of organisms manly focusing on microcellular beings. Predicting the development rates and identifying the reasons for the anomaly. Gathering fundamentals points on cellular divisions and fertilizations with the help of which biological attributes can be changed totally.
In order to have higher paychecks in the field of professional biology, a master’s degree is mandatory. Epidemiologists, wildlife biologists, natural science managers, biophysicists and many more career options have made masters degree must fulfilling criteria. This course usually takes 2 years to complete. Nowadays with the advancement of internet, there are many online courses which offer a proper master’s degree in biology. The general procedures involve attaining classroom programs or online classes on regular intervals and sitting for comprehensive written examinations. It also involves studying a specific branch in detail. This special paper is often categorized under thesis. Some of the certificates acquired during this course involve the following:
5. Biology of cancer: This course focuses on cell physiology and also on genetics giving a proper view on the transformation of cells specifically in the cancer diagnostic realms and conducting the necessary treatments. Skills acquired involve knowing how to treat cancerous cells. Understanding the reason for such growths. How these anomalous cell growths can affect several other parts of the human body.
6. Pharmacology: This course offers a proper overview of all the standard drugs and helps the students understand the reactions that take place in the human bodies as a result of consumption of these drugs. Skills acquired during this course involves going for patient counselling and giving them instructions on proper drug use and understanding the working mechanisms of various drugs. How to prepare a proper prescription using a combination of drugs and curing unusual issues.
- Human gross anatomy course helps students to understand the high levels of various intricacies which human physiology and anatomy inherit. Skills developed during this course involve knowing how to properly dissect a cadaver. Reading CT scans, MRI and X-ray result properly. Detailed understanding of interactions of human body systems.
- DNA forensics course helps students to develop skills in finding forensic evidence with the use of DNA. Skills acquired during this course involve reading DNA evidence and treating them. Presentation of DNA evidence in literature and law in courts using proper techniques. Dealing with problems and solving them which may arise during DNA investigations.
Some of the degrees acquired during this course of education are:
- Ethics in Scientific Research dealing with patients
- Practical data analysis through combination of lab work and classroom program
- Dealing with Contemporary issues related to genetics
- Acquiring proper biomedical information with in-depth studies. Students who still opt for higher study take up the PhD courses which usually take 4 to eight years to complete.
Evelyn W. Minnick is a well-known professional in this field of study. She has got an MBA degree with as many as over 6 years of professional teaching experiences. She works at University Homework Help. Her fundamental concepts are pretty clear; thus, she helps in educating students with the much-needed courses of concern. Students feel free to approach her due to her friendly attitude.