17 Oct A Guide to Various Learning Disabilities and Their Cure
Learning disabilities are problems related to the inability to comprehend various subjects. In here, subjects don’t just signify any collective form of textbooks or educational content but a complete area of basic learning skills.
It is not just limited to theacademic ground. These disabilities go beyond, affecting thecordial and professional relationship. It is a lifelong challenge with no complete cure. People suffering from learning disabilities possess an average or above average intelligence.
This can also be determined as a gap between the individual’s potential and their actual accomplishment. This is the reason why people familiar to learning disabilities also name it as “hidden disabilities”. The exterior look of the person looks absolutely normal, sometimes cloaking them as a bright and intelligent person. But they may be unable to perform what they are expected from someone of a closer age group.
Few Learning Disabilities
- Auditory Processing Disorder (APD): This disability states a person’s inability to process words inside the brain which he or she hears. It is also known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder. The person with this disorder cannot distinguish the fine line between sounds and words. It may be due to the muddled up version of the sounds and words which the person hears or it may be the wrong speed of the sound creating such difficulty.
- Visual processing disorder:This disability also known as thevisual motor deficit, hinders the visual perception where the person faces difficulties, differentiating minute details among number or letter reversal, skipping words or lines, misunderstanding depth or distance, holding pens and pencils very tightly and issues with hand and eye coordination.
- Dyslexia: It isa language-based affliction in which a person has trouble understanding and reading written words. Differentiating letters and words, and configuring or reciting rhymes may seem a very difficult task to them. To know more about Dyslexia, you can go through what is Dyslexia and Ways to Deal With it?
- Dyscalculia: This is a mathematical disability which hinders the chances of recognizing numbers and learning mathstables and symbols, organizing numbers and counting numbers. Any person with dyscalculia finds solving easy arithmetic problems to be a formidable task.
- Dysgraphia: This learning disability targets the area of writing. A person with thisdisability faces problems with thinking and writing at the same time. It may be unintelligible word formation or omissions of some letters in a word or it may be the strange positioning of paper or the wrist.
- Aphasia or Dysphasia: This disability hampers language and speech patterns. It occurs when the person faces great difficulty in controlling muscles to establish simple coordination, of understanding a language and communicating back for a reply. The person may get agitated with persistent sounds like ticking of a clock.
- Dyspraxia: It is a sensory integration disorder in which the person faces order related to eye-hand coordination and struggle with posture and balance. As a general outlook, they may seem a little clumsy but in reality, suffer from the adverse effects of fine motor skills.
- ADHD: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) comes under Special Learningdisability which specifies a person’s inability to pay attention or focus towards any activity. Though it is not counted among any learning disabilitybut onan average of 30% to 50% people withADHDsuffer from learning disabilities.
Cure to these Learning Disabilities
An important thing what everybody needs to understand is that learning disabilities are some shortcomings which few individualspossess and not diseases. They are incurable. But there are options and strategies to overcome these shortcomings.
- A quick detection leads to a quick solution. Parental guidance is what every child searches and a loving hand is what everyone craves for. People with learning disabilities need that extra care and patience to overcome their mental confusion.
- For people who suffer from Dyslexia, special teaching techniques like multi-sensory methods should be applied to distinguish between different letters and words. They should be given extra time to finish tests and recorded information, for a better understanding. Interactive audio-books are of a great help.
- Help from government also acts as a help to the people with learning disabilities. The American with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) protects adults with learning disabilities in higher education programs and employment so that their social growth doesn’t get stunted.
- People suffering from Dysgraphia can opt for audio based methods like videotapes or audio recorder instead of written methods.
- Professional counselors can come as a great help. They can help relate the emotional turmoil, explaining the various ways of coping mechanism and tips to build healthy relationships.
- It is not just the responsibility of the near and dear ones of a LearningDisable’s to strategize methods of their betterment. People with learning disabilities should incorporate the feeling of must, in overcoming such obstacles. They suffer from frustration, low esteem, and it is natural that feelings like inferiority complex creep into them. They should harness the positivity from their loved ones to fight their disabilities.
- People with various learning disabilities are not abnormal. Their minds just work with a different frequency. Many people do possess some amazing artistic skill which should be encouraged. This acts as a tremendous morale booster.
- Create a positive atmosphere where people with learning disabilities don’t feel left out or neglected.
- Trying to understand the insight of such people and helping them to accommodate to their needs feelings helps them to a great extent.
Do you know?
- On an average of 2.4 million students are diagnosed with learning and specific learning disabilities. 41% of all students receiving special education services receive it under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- 75% to 80% of learning disable individualsfaces problems regarding reading and learning.
- With a huge margin, 60% adults are found severely illiterate as their issues were not detected.
Learning the fundamentals of Learning Disabilities is a vital step for getting help. Many professional websites provide the basic information to understand and take steps towards the correct direction for their betterment.